Monday, September 7, 2026

La Cocina de Maria at Root Mart

This is the latest restaurant to occupy the kitchen inside the Chevron Root Mart. I stopped in the other day and got a chicken sope, three tacos (al pastor, fajita, and chicharrones) with rice and beans, and a drink and dessert from Root Mart.

The chicken sope, was decent, I think the flavoring of the chicken could have been more bold but it was fine. The al pastor and fajita tacos were very good--nice tender meat and bold flavors. The al pastor was just right, sometimes I find it too astringent but this was a very good example. The chicharrones taco really brought the heat--be prepared. I am not a huge fan of chicharrones tacos but if you like hot ones you'll like these. There were some other tasty items on display (some good looking roast chicken).

The rice and beans were less successful. They had been made some time ago. I watched the server add water to the beans to loosen them up a bit, but they still ate somewhat dry. The business is new and there were some other service issues--I can't rate the salsas because they were left out. I asked for flour tortillas and got corn, which is not a big deal, I like both. Definitely store-bought tortillas. No utensils or napkins in the to go order. But the server was nice and polite, I think they absolutely deserve a chance.

Root Mart (not on Yelp currently) is looking a little run down. The soda fountain had two sodas out of order, though the Coke was working fine. They still have a fine wine selection. I did not visit the restrooms this time. They are an institution here and I hope things turn around.

No comments:

Post a Comment