Thursday, June 25, 2026

Del Tejano

This business has changed hands--relatives of the previous owners purchased it. It is now named Del Tejano but the menu and recipes are the same. We came in to give it a try under the new owners. We got a chicken gordita, a chicken tostada and the Parrillada Regia plate. We finished with a canoa.

The gordita and tostada were good representations. The gordita was tasty and the tostada was firm enough to pick up, though it was fully loaded so that was awkward in a good way. But the star was the Parrillada Regia plate.

This plate comes on a sizzling fajita skillet with beef, shrimp, sausage and a pork chop as proteins, grilled onions and peppers, and rice, beans, tortillas, avocado and pico de gallo on the side. The beef was good, the chicken fine but slightly on the dry side, the sausage had lots of flavor, and the shrimp was well cooked. But I recommend this plate for the pork chop. It's a thin chop but it was cooked just right, done but nice and tender. There's a very narrow window to get chops right, and most places miss it, but this one was great. The portions of the proteins are about right for one taco, I would call it a sample plate. But it's under $20 so I think it is a great value as well as a good dish. Am getting that again.

We may have failed to appreciate the canoa. It's a fried plantain topped with whipped cream and cinnamon. My wife thought it was too sweet, and I thought it wasn't sweet enough. Your mileage will obviously vary.

The place has been fully decorated since my last review and is quite attractive inside. The bathrooms were clean and ready. Service was good. I think the place will be successful under the new owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment