This is the latest location for this local chain. We stopped in to try it out on a Friday evening. We got the Benny Benedict breakfast (they serve breakfast all day) with hashbrowns and the chicken fried steak platter with fries and green beans. Finished with beignets.
The Benny Benedict is an eye-catching platter. It's two eggs benedict on top of a full chicken fried chicken serving cut in half. So it's a massive amount of food, you're in good shape if someone wants to split it. The eggs were very tasty and the breading on the chicken fried chicken is perfect for this--it is very crisp so it holds up to the moisture of the eggs and sauce. The hashbrowns were good too. Definitely something to try.The chicken fried steak is well known at Waterfalls but I had never had it. Can't wait to get it again. Many places serving chicken fried steak compete for the largest portion. What I want is the best portion! This is a generous serving, and it's the best CFS I've ever experienced. The breading is very crisp, which complements the sausage gravy really well. And not a hint of gristle! I can't tell you how many times I have gone to a famous CFS place and gotten a massive serving, but the breading has gone soft under the gravy and resulted in a big gooey, pasty mess. Not this time. The fries were excellent, they are breaded and nice and crisp. Would go great with a burger. The green beans have what looks like a good size piece of crisp bacon crumbled in them--very flavorful. The food has good flavors but the textures really stand out.
There were a few misses that keep me from giving them 5 stars. They were out of lemonade so I couldn't get my usual lemonade and iced tea mix, and the fountain Coke was just OK. The beignets were made fresh and tasted good, but they were on the greasy side--maybe time to change the fryer oil.
The interior is inviting but unpretentious--the furniture might be used. The bathrooms (gendered but identical) were clean and ready. Waterfalls Cafe is only open for dinner on weeknights--on weekends they are breakfast and lunch only. But we will be back.
No comments:
Post a Comment